When: Thursday, June 3, 2021 — 10:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.
Where: Mariucci Arena, 1901 4th St SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455
- Families and Guests
- Mariucci Arena Attendee Guide
- Ticket Information
- Directions and Parking
- Covid-19 Protocols
- Caps and Gowns
This guide will help each of our graduates know what to expect during the in-person Commencement Ceremonies held at the Mariucci Arena on the University of Minnesota campus. Facial coverings will be required for all attendees. We look forward to seeing your mask and cap decorations. Share them before the ceremony on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram with hashtag #HopkinsGrad2021.
Graduate Procession and Diploma Recognition
- The morning ceremony will begin promptly at 10:00 a.m. and the afternoon ceremony will begin promptly at 1:00 p.m. Please arrive one hour early for seating.
- The ceremonies will be streamed live on the top of this web page at the time of the ceremony.
Before Graduation Ceremony
- Graduates will enter through the 5th Street entrance area of Mariucci Arena.
- Scholars will be seated in a socially distanced arrangement on the floor of the arena. There will be no procession.
- Graduates should arrive one hour prior to the ceremony. Graduates in the morning ceremony should arrive at 9:00 a.m. and graduates in the afternoon ceremony should arrive at 12:00 p.m.
- Do not bring any bags or personal items. The U of M has a small bag policy should you need to bring anything.
During Graduation Ceremony
- Each ceremony will last approximately 1.5 hours.
- Graduates will be allowed to remove their facial covering prior to taking a photograph and then will put their facial covering back on after the photograph.
After the Graduation Ceremony
- There will be a formal recessional and all graduates will be orderly marched out of the venue.
- Graduates should plan to meet their guests at their vehicles and not socially gather outside the venue.
This guide will help each of our graduates families and guests know what to expect during the in-person Commencement Ceremonies held at the Mariucci Arena on the University of Minnesota campus. Facial coverings will be required for all attendees.
Before Graduation Ceremony
- Guests may enter the building 30 minutes prior to the ceremony. Guests of the morning ceremony may arrive at 9:30 a.m. Guests of the afternoon ceremony may enter at 12:30 p.m.
During Graduation Ceremony
- Family and guest "pods" will be seated in the section and seat according to their ticket. Guests must remain socially distanced from other families while inside the venue.
After the Graduation Ceremony
- Guests should plan to meet their graduate at their vehicles and not socially gather outside the venue.
This A to Z Guide was created in order to assist patrons during their visit to University of Minnesota events. The information contained in this guide may be subject to change.
The mailing address and telephone number for Mariucci Arena is:Mariucci Arena
1901 4th Street Southeast
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Phone Number: (612) 625-5804
Alcoholic beverages are not for sale at, nor may alcoholic beverages be brought into, any of the on-campus facilities.
Seeing Eye Dogs or other animal assistance utilized by the disabled or visually impaired are welcomed with proper identification (official vest) are welcomed. However, all other animals are prohibited from the facilities.
There is one ATM on the concourse area in Section 1 of Mariucci Arena.
Bags, Backpacks, and Purses
Oversized bags and purses (nothing larger than 8" x 12" x 11") are prohibited from all Minnesota athletic facilities. All bags and purses are subject to inspection when entering, or at anytime while inside any of the facilities by the Event Staff or Security.
Banners and Signs
Banners and signs are welcome inside any of the various facilities. However, to make sure they do not interfere from the enjoyment of the other patrons, guests should adhere to the following guidelines:
- Banners and signs should be individually hand held and not be any larger than 24" x 36"; (2' x 3').
- Banners and signs should not contain any advertising, derogatory or offensive language/logos, and should not contain any wood, metal material or other object for support.
- The University of Minnesota reserves the right to remove any banner and/or sign it sees fit.
Attendees are welcome to bring any non-flash, still cameras into the facilities to take pictures of the sporting events or of the facility itself. No large camera bags (nothing larger than 8" x 12" x 11"), tripods, lenses larger than 6", and other photography equipment are allowed in the arena, and camera use must not interfere with the other patrons viewing the game. Video cameras are strictly prohibited for non-media guests.
Disabled access for ADA patrons can be found on the east side, or along the Oak Street entrance, of the arena where wheelchair ramps have been provided. Wheelchair access doors, along with an elevator for our disabled guests, are available to assist our guests to the main concourse and seating area. In addition, reserved parking for ADA patrons is offered in Lot 37.
Elevators / Escalators
There are three elevators located throughout Mariucci Arena. The first one is the ADA elevator and is located in the east ticket lobby. This elevator will take you from the ticket lobby to Section 2 in the main concourse area and back. A second elevator is located in Section 20. It leads up to the suite level and television deck and back down to the loading dock area. In order to access this elevator you must have either a suite ticket or the proper credentials. The last elevator is located in Section 11 and is the club room elevator. It will take you up to the club room and media area, down to the Sundet Lobby, and even further down to the locker room and ice level. In order to access this elevator you must have either a club room ticket or the proper credentials. There are also two escalators located throughout the arena. Both of them are located in the east ticket lobby and concourse area.
There are three different entrances into Mariucci Arena. The main entrance is located on the east side of the facility, on Oak Street. This entrance also serves as the main entrance to the University of Minnesota Athletic Ticket Office and the Gopher Sports Marketing Department. The second entrance, or the student gate entrance, is located on the west side of the facility, next to Ridder Arena. A third entrance is located on the southeast side of the facility, on 4th Street Southeast. This entrance, otherwise known as the Sundet Lobby Entrance, is the entrance to the Building Operations Office.
The First Aid room is located in the main concourse area in Section 20.
Food and Beverages
Guests are not permitted to bring any outside food or beverages to any University of Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic facilities.
Prohibited Items / Restrictions
In the interest of guest safety and enjoyment the University of Minnesota reserves the right to prevent certain items from entering or being used at any facility. These include, but are not limited to: weapons or anything that can be used as a dangerous item, sticks, or flagpoles; outside food or drink; larger bags, backpacks, and over-sized purses (nothing larger than 8" x 12" x 11"); banners and signs larger than 24" x 36"; signs or clothing with inappropriate or offensive language; camcorders; cameras with lenses larger than six inches; noisemakers; "wheelie shoes"; pets; tobacco; umbrellas* and laser pointers. At the same time, other items that may risk the safety or viewing/listening enjoyment of the guests may be prohibited.
* For more information regarding umbrellas, please see section titled Umbrellas.
There are a total of eight restrooms located in the main concourse area of the arena, four women's and four men's restrooms. The women's restrooms are located in Sections 4, 10, 16, and 22. The men's restrooms are located in Sections 3-4, 10, 15-16, and 22-23. Baby changing stations are also available in the restrooms located in Sections 10 and 22.
There is no smoking inside any University of Minnesota athletic facilities. If you happen to leave the facility to smoke and then choose to re-enter you will not be re-admitted and must purchase another ticket.
Guests may bring umbrellas inside Minnesota athletic facilities ONLY if they are small enough to fit into a regulation sized purse or bag. Any umbrella larger than this will NOT be allowed into any athletic facility. For example, NO golf umbrellas will be permitted inside the facility. If a fan brings an unusually large umbrella into a facility they will be asked to return the umbrella to their vehicle.
How many guest tickets are available per graduate?
Each graduate may reserve up to 8 tickets for guests.
How do I order tickets for one or both of the 2021 Graduation ceremonies?
Scholars will receive a link from Mariucci Arena. The link will allow scholars to order tickets for their designated graduation ceremony.
Will the tickets designate what section and seat that guests are able to sit in?
Tickets will designate what section and seat guests may sit in during the ceremony.
Will I be able to change seats or sections?
Guests must use the seats that are designated on their ticket.
- From Interstate 94 (Westbound): Take the Huron Boulevard exit and follow that to the intersection of Huron Boulevard and Washington Avenue Southeast. Take slight right onto 23rd Avenue Southeast. Take left onto 6th Street Southeast. The arena will be ahead on the left.
- From Interstate 94 (Eastbound): Take the Interstate 35W North exit and follow the directions below.
- From Interstate 35W (Northbound): Take the University Avenue/4th Street Southeast exit and take a right on University Avenue. Follow that until Oak Street. Turn left and follow that one block north to 4th Street Southeast. The arena will be ahead on the left.
- From Interstate 35W (Southbound): Take the University Avenue/4th Street Southeast exit. Go past 4th Street Southeast and turn left on University Avenue. Follow that until Oak Street and take a left. Continue one block north to 4th Street Southeast. The arena will be ahead on the left.
- Scholars and their guests can use the Maroon Lot, Lot 37, and the University Avenue Ramp for parking.
- Parking will cost $5 per vehicle.
Senior Spotlight Video Series
The Class of 2021 is made up of 530 seniors with unique passions, talents, skills, and dreams. We wanted to give you a glimpse of the exceptional scholars through a video series called Senior Spotlight. Learn more about the path these students took to reach high school graduation and what they have planned for the future.